During the 4th of July holiday, I had the pleasure of being at the birth place of our democratic process – Independence Hall in Philadelphia. If you have not had the opportunity to tour the hall and see the Liberty Bell, then I urge every American to do so.
So, it got me thinking…what are the Top 15 national attractions every American should see in his/her lifetime? Well, you have guessed it, I have a list. Please take a look and let me know if you agree, disagree, or if you have your own list. Enjoy!
- Independence Hall – Philadelphia PA, where the Declaration of Independence was created and signed by the Continental Congress.
- Liberty Bell – Philadelphia PA.
- Mount Vernon – Alexandria VA, Home of George Washington (General of the Continental Army and US 1st President).
- Monticello– Charlottesville VA, Home of Thomas Jefferson (The author of the Declaration of Independence and US 3rd President).
- Jamestown – Jamestown VA, 1st permanent English colony in North America.
- Yorktown – Yorktown VA, the surrender of the British Army and the end of the American Revolution.
- Gettysburg – Gettysburg PA, the defeat of Robert E Lee’s invasion of the North and turning point of the Civil War.
- Appomattox Court House – Appomattox VA, Lee’s surrender to Grant and the ending of the American Civil War.
- White House – Washington DC, the house of the President.
- National Archives (view the Constitution & Declaration of Independence) – Washington DC.
- The National Mall – Washington DC (Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial, & Korean War Memorial)
- Capitol Hill – Washington DC, the house of Congress.
- National Museum of American Indian – Washington DC.
- Arlington National Cemetery – Arlington VA. The home of the tomb of the Unknown Solider and National Cemetery.
- Colonial Williamsburg– Williamsburg VA, a living museum of life in colonial American and the 1st state capital of Virginia.
I do have a few honorable mentions.
- St. John’s Church – Richmond VA, this is the church where Patrick Henry gave his famous speech “Give me liberty or give me death”.
- The Alamo – San Antonio TX.
- The National Museum of American History – Washington DC.
- Valley Forge – Valley Forge PA
- USS Constitution – Boston MA